Monday, June 6, 2011

French Window Dressings

My favorite images of the French Riviera turned out to be from a small inland village rather than from the famous coastline (in terms of what was available through Google Street View, that is). I've always liked the irregularity and coziness of old towns with narrow streets, and the contrast of monochromatic buildings with bright colorful shutters.

This month, the Virtual Paintout goes to New Zealand.

Old Town Shutters, oil on canvas panel, 8x10 inches.
©2011 Amy Tennant

Sunbreak, oil on canvas panel, 6x6 inches.
©2011 Amy Tennant


4 comments:

  1. I like what you said about the cozy narrow streets and I especially like your "Sunbreak" painting above. Quite taken with your "Promenade chairs" below as well. Unassuming subjects in which the main star seems to be the Cote d' Azur quality of light. I found it distinctive and I think you captured in in your chairs painting. Well, in those above, too, but it stands out more in the chairs one.

    That being said, I actually came over to say how much I like your New Zealand painting of the turnaround. I saw a lot of those too, in my 'stroll' yesterday. Love that reddish sky, the light quality/atmosphere, which I find a tad spooky. I like that. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the great comments! I've been wanting to experiment with sky color because it can change the mood so much, and blues feel so chilly to me sometimes. I like that you found a spooky quality in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these. The interplay of shadow on Sunbreak is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chrissy! So glad you liked these.

    ReplyDelete