Friday, April 1, 2011

Water Miscible Oils

Sun-Dried, oil on canvas panel, 10x8 inches.
©2011 Amy Tennant





















I tried water miscible oils for the first time yesterday (result above). These are oil paints that have been molecularly altered so that they are solvent in water. The paints themselves are not water-based and still perform like traditional oil paints, but they can be cleaned up with water. This is a very nice thing, as washing the paint out of my oil painting brushes is my most hated chore. 

I tried two different brands: Winsor & Newton Artisan, and Holbein Duo. I definitely preferred the consistency of the Holbeins. The WN paints were very stiff. If anyone has tried other brands and can recommend one, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Any reviews of Royal Talens Cobra?

This image is another street view from Cape Town. I had to edit out a few bugs that got stuck on the canvas while I was painting with the doors open after an 80-degree day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment